The Mazda CX-9, which is the Japanese automaker’s largest seven-seat SUV, has received a price adjustment as of July 1, 2022.
Asking prices for the Azami AWD and Azami LE AWD are up by $1 and $829 respectively, due to changes in the luxury car tax (LCT) threshold, according to a Mazda Australia spokesperson.
Pricing now starts at $46,250 before on-road costs for the Sport FWD and extends to $73,878 before on-road costs for the Azami LE AWD.
This price increase follows an almost range-wide price increase of $260, as part of wider Mazda price rises due to supply chain constraints and production costs.
Regardless of the price increases, there haven’t been any specification changes.
The current, second-generation Mazda CX-9 has been on sale locally since 2016 and recently gained the sporty-looking GT SP and range-topping Azami LE trims.
Until June 2022, Mazda has sold a total of 3668 CX-9 models. It outsold the Kia Sorento (2837 sales), Hyundai Palisade (2222 sales), and Hyundai Santa Fe (2119 sales), but was outsold by the likes of the Toyota Kluger (6206 sales).
- 2022 Mazda CX-9 Sport FWD: $46,250
- 2022 Mazda CX-9 Sport AWD: $50,250
- 2022 Mazda CX-9 Touring FWD: $53,850
- 2022 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD: $57,850
- 2022 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD: $63,350
- 2022 Mazda CX-9 GT SP FWD: $63,850
- 2022 Mazda CX-9 Azami FWD: $66,550
- 2022 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD: $67,350
- 2022 Mazda CX-9 GT SP AWD: $67,850
- 2022 Mazda CX-9 Azami AWD: $70,550 (+$1)
- 2022 Mazda CX-9 Azami LE AWD: $73,878 (+$829)
All prices exclude on-road costs.
The 2022 Mazda CX-9 is powered by a 2.5-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine producing 170kW of power and 420Nm of torque.
It’s mated to a six-speed automatic transmission, and the CX-9 is available with a choice of front- or all-wheel drive on all trim levels except for the AWD-only Azami LE.
The front-wheel drive 2022 Mazda CX-9 uses 8.4L/100km on the ADR combined cycle, while all-wheel drive models are rated at 9.0L/100km.
All models have a 72L fuel tank and have an engine idle stop/start system. The CX-9 requires a minimum of 91 RON regular unleaded petrol.
The 2022 Mazda CX-9 measures 5075mm long, 1747mm tall, 1969mm wide, and has a 2930mm wheelbase.
The base front-wheel drive CX-9 weighs 1878kg. Adding all-wheel drive up that by 72kg, bringing the total to 1950kg.
The Mazda CX-9’s boot has a luggage capacity of 230L with all three rows up, and 810L when the third row is folded down.
The 2022 Mazda CX-9 is covered by a five-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty and requires servicing every 12 months or 10,000 kilometres, whichever comes first.
The first five services are cost the following:
- 12 months or 10,000km: $378
- 24 months or 20,000km: $424
- 36 months or 30,000km: $378
- 48 months or 40,000km: $424
- 60 months or 50,000km: $378
The Mazda CX-9 has a five-star ANCAP safety rating based on testing conducted in 2016.
It received an overall score of 35.87 out of 37, plus Good grades for whiplash and pedestrian protection.
All 2022 Mazda CX-9 models receive the following safety equipment:
- Front and rear autonomous emergency braking (AEB) with night time pedestrian detection
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Driver attention monitoring
- Traffic sign recognition
- Lane departure warning
- Lane-keeping assist
- Front, front-side and curtain airbags
- Adaptive cruise control with stop & go
- Rear parking sensors
- Reversing camera
- Tyre pressure monitoring
The 2022 Mazda CX-9 Sport has the following standard features:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Steel temporary spare wheel
- Auto LED headlights
- Auto high-beam
- Halogen daytime running lights
- LED tail lights
- Rain-sensing window wipers
- Heated and power-folding side mirrors
- 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- DAB+ digital radio
- Satellite navigation
- Six-speaker sound system
- Head-up display
- Three-zone climate control
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Leather-wrapped gear shift knob
- Cloth upholstery
- Electric parking brake
- Push-button start
- Off-road traction assist (AWD model only)
The Touring adds the following:
- 9.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Paddle shifters
- LED fog lights
- Front parking sensors
- Keyless entry
- Paddle shifters
- Black leather upholstery
- Eight-way power driver’s seat
- Six-way power front passenger’s seat
- Heated front seats
- Rear centre armrest with storage and USB ports
- One-touch tip and slide switch for second row
The GT adds:
- 20-inch alloy wheels
- Power tailgate
- Power tilt-and-slide sunroof
- 10.25-inch infotainment system
- Wireless phone charger
- 12-speaker Bose sound system
- Leather upholstery (black, natural stone or beige)
- 10-way power driver’s seat with memory
- Heated outboard second row seats
- Third-row USB ports
The GT SP adds:
- Black 20-inch alloy wheels
- Black mirror caps
- Dark gunmetal grille
- Burgundy leather upholstery
- Red interior highlights
The Azami adds:
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Windscreen de-icer
- 7.0-inch information display
- Heated steering wheel
- Frameless steering wheel
- Ventilated front seats
- Surround-view camera
- Real wood trim
- LED centre console ambient lighting
- Quilted Nappa leather upholstery (brown or white)
The Azami LE adds:
- Power-adjustable heated ventilated second-row captain’s charirs
- Second-row centre console
The 2022 Mazda CX-9 is available in the following exterior paint colours, depending on the trim level:
- Deep Crystal Blue Mica
- Soul Red Crystal Metallic
- Titanium Flash Mica
- Jet Black Mica
- Polymetal Grey Metallic
- Machine Grey Metallic
- Sonic Silver Metallic
- Snowflake White Pearl Mica
All the metallic paint finishes cost an additional $695.
MORE: Everything Mazda CX-9