All Things Newz
Law \ Legal

Getting a Divorce in Australia if you are married overseas – Divorce

To print this article, all you need is to be registered or login on

Going through a divorce can be emotionally challenging, and even
more so if you got married overseas as there can be legal variables
to consider.

Although you cannot register your overseas marriage in
Australia, it will generally be recognised if it was a valid
marriage under the local law at the time and would have been
considered valid if the marriage had been conducted in Australia.
It is important to note that even if you are married overseas, an
Application for Divorce can be made in Australia on the condition
that you or your spouse:

  • are an Australia citizen (by birth, descent, or grant of an
    Australia citizenship); or

  • regard Australia as your home and intend to live indefinitely
    in Australia; or

  • ordinarily live in Australia and have done so for 12 months
    immediately before filing for divorce.

What if I have been living with my spouse since

Prior to applying for divorce, you must consider whether you and
your spouse have lived together during part or all of the required
separation period of 12 months. If you were separated under one
roof, you will need to support your divorce application with an
affidavit. This affidavit will need to prove that there has been a
change in the relationship, gradual or sudden, demonstrating that
you and your spouse have separated. A supporting affidavit will
also need to be filed by an independent person; such as, a family
member, friend or neighbour.

What if my marriage certificate is not in English?

A copy of your marriage certificate must be provided when you
file your Application for Divorce. If your marriage certificate is
not in English, an English translation of your marriage certificate
must also be filed alongside an Affidavit of Translation of
Marriage Certificate completed by the translator.

What if I do not have a copy of my marriage certificate?

If you do not have a copy of your marriage certificate, you
should try to obtain a copy through contacting the relevant embassy
in Australia or the civil registry of the country where the
marriage took place. If you are unsuccessful in doing so, you will
be required to file an affidavit explaining why a copy of your
marriage certificate is unable to be provided to the Court.

What if my spouse lives overseas?

You may find it difficult to serve the Application for Divorce
on your spouse if they are still living overseas. If you are unable
to locate your spouse after taking all reasonable steps to do so,
you may apply to the court for substituted service or dispensation
of service. A substituted service will involve serving the relevant
documents to a third person who will then pass on the documents to
your spouse. If the Court makes an order for the dispensation of
service, however, you will not be required to serve the documents
on your spouse.

What we can do to help?

It is important that you note that a Divorce Order in Australia
only recognises that your marriage has ended. You will still need
to consider any property matters, financial support or parenting
arrangements that need to be resolved between you and your spouse.
Proceedings in relation to property settlement or spousal
maintenance must be initiated within 12 months of your Divorce
Order coming into effect. If this time limit is not complied with,
you will need to seek permission from the court to initiate
proceedings and you may be prevented from doing so.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general
guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought
about your specific circumstances.

POPULAR ARTICLES ON: Family and Matrimonial from Australia

Fallacies in family law

Carroll & O’Dea

Article dispels some myths around family law. Includes link to another article about costs in family law.

Who gets the ashes?


When there is a family conflict, the Court may have no choice but to make a determination to settle the dispute.

Source link

Related posts

Ontario’s New Transparency Register: Getting Your OBCA Corporation Ready For January 1, 2023 – Tax Authorities

Horace Hayward

New EU Rules For Data Access And Sharing: What You Need To Know – Privacy Protection

Horace Hayward

ITAR Reorganization Rule Expected To Enter Into Force September 6 – International Trade & Investment

Horace Hayward