All Things Newz
Law \ Legal

How to apply for an annulment application in NSW: Everything you need to know – Court Procedure

To print this article, all you need is to be registered or login on

What is an annulment application?

If you do not appear in Court for your Hearing or Sentence, the
Local Court can still convict and/or sentence you under s 196 of
the Criminal Procedure Act 1986 (NSW). If you are not at
Court when a sentence or conviction is imposed, you can make an
Annulment Application under s 4 of the Crimes (Appeal and Review)
Act 2001 (‘the Act’) to have the decision reversed.

Who can make an annulment application?

An application can be made by the Defendant who has been
convicted or sentenced, or the prosecutor. A Defendant cannot make
an application if they have written to the court pleading guilty
and asked to be sentenced in their absence under s 182 of
the Criminal Procedure Act 1986 (NSW).

How do I make an annulment application?

You will need to download and fill-out an Annulment Application Form. This is on the
Local Court of NSW website.

Once you complete the form, you need to file it at the Local
Court and pay a filing fee. You can file the application at any NSW
Local Court, but the Court which made the original decision on your
matter will deal with it.

You have two years from the date of the Court’s decision to
make an application (s 2(a)).

What happens while I wait for the new Court date?

It is up to the Court what happens while you wait. The Local
Court can ‘stay the execution’ of a sentence as it thinks
fit (s 7). If it stays execution of the sentence, that freezes your
sentence and it will not take effect until the finalisation of your

What factors does the Court consider?

The Local Court will grant an application made by a Defendant if
they believe:

  • You were not aware of the original proceedings until after they
    were complete; or

  • You could not attend due to an accident, illness, misadventure,
    or other cause; or

  • Given the circumstances, it would be in the interests of
    justice to grant the application (s 8(2)).

It is the applicant’s job to provide evidence to prove that
they fall into one of these categories. This could include
providing a medical certificate, calling a witness to support your
explanation, or other documents or evidence that supports you. It
is common for people to prepare an affidavit that outlines why you
did not appear in court. An affidavit is sworn evidence, and it is
best to get legal advice when preparing one.

The Local Court must grant an application made by the prosecutor
if there is ‘just cause for doing so’ (s 8(1)).

What happens if the application is successful?

If the court grants your application, it will annul the decision
and deal with the matter afresh as if the conviction or sentence
never happened (s 9). If this happens, any enforcement action taken
should be reversed (s 10(1)). This includes repaying any fines you
paid for (s 10(3)).

The Court may deal with the matter immediately or at a later
date. You will need to tell the court whether you want to enter a
plea of guilty or not guilty. If it sets a new date, the Court will
notify you of the date, time, and location.

What happens if the Court refuses the annulment

If your application is not successful, the original conviction
or sentence will stay in place. You cannot make more than one
Annulment Application. If the Local Court refuses to annul your
conviction or sentence, you can file an appeal to the District
Court of NSW within 28 days.

Download the infographic here

POPULAR ARTICLES ON: Litigation, Mediation & Arbitration from Australia

Source link

Related posts

Important workplace relations changes, effective 1 July 2022 – Employee Rights/ Labour Relations

California Restricts Insurers’ Use Of AI And Big Data – Insurance Laws and Products

Deference To 1968 – Aviation